"I have but one passion - it is He, it is He alone. The world is the field and the field is the world; and henceforth that country shall be my home where I can most be used in winning souls for Christ."

Saturday, March 29, 2008

A Stranger In A Familiar Land

Opportunities multiply. This post goes out as a prayer update. Today Brother Randy put me in charge of the youth ministry here at Faith Baptist. They have been without a youth pastor for several months and still many of the youth are attending faithfully. What an opportunity; what a challenge! As if it’s not enough responsibility to lead a youth group in your native country, how much more a stranger in a foreign country. How do you lead a young person to pursue a deeper relationship with Christ when you’re still trying to learn their language?

And yet, God is faithful. Once again, I see God’s power in the fact that He can use you for His purpose, while still training you to do His will. Given the language barrier I will have with the youth, I am reminded, this time in a much deeper way, of the importance of leading by example and showing the teenagers how a Christian should live. A sobering thought this is to me. When these teens look at this young, new American visitor, will they see a living, breathing Jesus Christ?

Now my mind races with ideas, fears, questions, and doubts. But I must surrender them all to my Lord and venture out into this new, yet familiar territory He has placed me in. Pray for me. Pray for the teens. Pray for the church.

Brother Randy and I are seeking a national, someone here in this church, who would be willing to take on the responsibility of leading this group of young people. He has asked me to put together some materials for training a youth pastor/leader and then he will be asking some men in the church to attend a training meeting I will teach. I am also working towards teaching a youth Sunday School class on Sunday mornings. I pray that they’ll be able to understand through my Spanglish and learn to have a real, living relationship with Jesus.

Pray to this end:
1. That I will be a help to the youth ministry here at Faith Baptist
2. That I will be a living example of Jesus to the teens
3. That God will raise up a youth pastor here at the church
4. That God will give me the wisdom to teach through the language barrier
5. That when I leave in June, the youth ministry will be able to carry on without me.

2 comments:

Mac said...

Jon I am praying for you and your ministry there. May it be said of you as it was of David, "...that David behaved more wisely that all the servants of Saul, so that his name became highly esteemed." 1 Sam. 18:30b May that be said of all of us!

Love ya brother,
Mac

Luke Wagner said...

rock on man!!!!

God is good, and i know He has got some sweet blessings up His sleeve for you!

i pray you hear Him, and that His piercing light shines through you and into the lives of the students in your midst.

i was reminded today, that we are only the branch. it is the Vine that produces the fruit, the branch only bears it.

i trust God will work through you in radical ways, as you have yet to experience. listen, trust, follow.

with much love and many thoughts and prayers from a brother!!!