"I have but one passion - it is He, it is He alone. The world is the field and the field is the world; and henceforth that country shall be my home where I can most be used in winning souls for Christ."

Thursday, April 17, 2008

"Cual Es La Mejor? (Which Is the Best?)"

This question I asked the youth last Sunday. And it is the question I have been asking myself for the last year or so. We were talking with the youth about God's perfect plan for their lives. I heard this question in a sermon, but now I don't remember who said it or where. But God has used it in my life and continues to use it.



I am here to decide if God wants me to come here permanently to serve Him here in Mexico. I have surrendered my life to serve God full-time in whatever capacity He will allow me. And in seeking different ministries to serve in, there are many good options. So it is with life. There are many good things that we could do. But... "Which is the best?"



Thus have I seached the Scriptures for God's thoughts on our lives. He says, "Go into ALL the world, and preach the gospel to EVERY creature." He says, "You shall be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and Judea, and to the uttermost parts of the world." Paul says, "We are ambassadors for Christ, as if God Himself were making His request through us: Be reconciled to God." John says, "Every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." It has been accurately said that there is only one thing here on earth that we will not be able to do in heaven - and it is for that purpose that we are left here on the earth. It is to tell sinners that they can be reconciled to God!



I don't think any Christian would disagree that we are called to be a witness to the lost. But again, I take the question even to location of ministry. "There are many good places you could serve God, but which is the best?" In this, I do remember very vividly an illustration that was given when I was in college. A man was preaching about Jesus feeding the 5,000. He said this: "Imagine this situation. Jesus has prayed and broken the bread and fish as the disciples begin to help distribute the food. They take the food to the families closest to Jesus and when the baskets empty, come back for more. Then they take the food again to the people closest to Jesus. Again, they run out before all the people have eaten. They get more food from Jesus and again, feed the same people. How long will it be before the people in the back begin to cry out, 'Jesus, what about us? We're hungry, too! We need to eat! Jesus, what about us?"



How many times have you been witnessing in the States and encountered somebody who has NEVER heard the name of Jesus, somebody who has never seen a Bible, or somebody who is literally crying out for a Savior? For me, it has been rare - in fact, almost never. But leave the country! Abandon the spoiled, selfish American Dream and get out into the real life of most of the world - one lived somewhere between hunger/poverty and a hard-working life with basic needs sufficiently met. Where is the best place with the most potential for reaching the lost? In my view right now, it's anywhere outside the U.S.



Brother Randy said something to me the other day that was very eye-opening. He said, "You know brother, this thing about following God's will isn't as hard as we make it out to be. God just opens and closes doors and we're supposed to walk through them." So for me, thus far in my thinking, God is opening doors for me to come here. And until He closes them, I'm going to walk through them. And looking at my life NOW, in considering many good ministries, "Which is the best?" I have nothing to keep me in the States. Possessions? I have a few, but what are they, other than distractions to keep me entertained and passified while the world dies and goes to hell. Family? Nothing means more to me in the world, but to be in Mexico, I wouldn't be much more out of contact than in the States, given that they are still traveling and I am not. Church? Absolutely, I have the best church family I could ask for. But they also have such a vision for the world and a philosophy of missions, that I would be no less a part of our church if I were here in Mexico full-time. What else do I have to go back for? Nothing.

So has God prepared me for Mexico? Now, I am 26 years old, single, looking for where God could use me, and now can speak Spanish (still learning, yes, but well enough :o) And the phrase that always is a comfort to me is this: "God doesn't call the qualified; He qualifies the called." As a preacher in college said, "God chooses the boneheads." God chooses the weak vessels, so that He can be glorified through them. God always makes His will unmistakably clear. But right now, I don't see why I wouldn't come back, I don't believe I shouldn't come back, and I can't see how I won't be coming back. If God closes the doors, so be it. But as of now, they are open wide!!!

Jesus said, "Open your eyes and look to the fields, for they are white already unto harvest. Pray therefore the Lord of the harvest that He will send forth laborers into the field."

No comments: